By Philip Steele
From how those treasures have been created, misplaced, and exposed through explorers and scientists, Eyewitness Treasure takes a glance on the big range of worthy items which were the seeds of greed, conquest, crime, and event over the background of humankind.
Read or Download Treasure PDF
Similar history books
This can be the 1st significant synthesis of Greek faith to seem for a iteration. A truly based and readable survey for classical students and scholars, it's going to even be usually welcomed because the most sensible glossy account of any polytheistic non secular procedure. The textual content builds up a magnificent and coherent photograph of the present country of data concerning the faith of the traditional Greeks.
The second one version of A historical past of the Later Roman Empire gains vast revisions and updates to the highly-acclaimed, sweeping historic survey of the Roman Empire from the accession of Diocletian in advert 284 to the demise of Heraclius in 641.
• encompasses a revised narrative of the political historical past that formed the past due Roman Empire
• comprises wide alterations to the chapters on local background, particularly these when it comes to Asia Minor and Egypt
• bargains a renewed overview of the decline of the empire within the later 6th and 7th centuries
• locations a bigger emphasis at the army deficiencies, cave in of nation funds, and position of bubonic plague through the Europe in Rome’s decline
• comprises systematic updates to the bibliography
This can be the 1st e-book to deal comprehensively with the archaeology of rafts, boats, and ships from the Stone Age to Medieval instances. all of the areas of the area are lined, from Atlantic Europe and the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean, the China Sea, and the Pacific.
- Warrior: A Visual History of the Fighting Man
- Revolution in Time: Clocks and the Making of the Modern World (Revised & Enlarged Edition)
- Art Is Not What You Think It Is
- A History of Life in 100 Fossils
- The Warrior King and the Invasion of France: Henry V, Agincourt, and the Campaign that Shaped Medieval England
- The Templars and the Shroud of Christ: A Priceless Relic in the Dawn of the Christian Era and the Men Who Swore to Protect It
Additional info for Treasure
Today’s experts can even reconstruct the sounds of the past with these objects. These two bells were made at very different times, showing how knowledge was passed on from one generation to the next in Chinese civilization. 50 Engraving depicting an elephant CLUES FROM A CAULDRON This panel is from a silver-plated cauldron found at Gundestrup, Denmark. Made after 120 Żżžit depicts gods and warriors from Celtic Europe, but the metal and workmanship suggest it may have originated in southeast Europe or western Asia.
Divider or compass for measuring distances on a chart 100-ton cradle hoist Navigational instruments salvaged from the Mary Rose Protractor for checking the ship’s course on a chart Diving mask allows the diver to see clearly under water SHIVER ME TIMBERS! In 1982, the timbers of an old English warship were raised from the bottom of the sea. The Mary Rose, the pride of King Henry VIII’s navy, sank in 1545. Items discovered on board included weapons, armor, lanterns, coins, dice, and medical equipment.
It was plundered by the British army in Ghana in 1874. Such treasures are often a vital part of the culture of a nation or people. Their ownership, and the question of where they should be displayed, is a matter of fierce debate in our own times. Should they be returned to the cultures that originally made them? WHO OWNS A WRECK? Bold decorative goldwork 53 In 2008, a US marine exploration company found a shipwreck off the Channel Islands. It was the first HMS Victory (above), which sank in 1744.