During this e-book, the subject of human enhancement is mentioned from quite a few views – genetic, clinical, philosophical, literary, sociological, and criminal. It addresses not just these facets that the majority instantly spring to mind whilst one thinks of ‘human enhancement,’ reminiscent of genetic engineering, cloning, man made implants and synthetic intelligence, but additionally much less visible facets together with evolutionary views in reference to the prolongation of the human lifespan, cosmetic surgery in view that its beginnings, and questions similar to even if the excellence among ‘natural’ and ‘artificial’ can rather be drawn in any respect and the way it's been conceived around the a while, or what the criminal implications of contemporary advancements and methods are.
Many chapters draw parallels to the illustration of those advancements in pop culture, from Jules Verne via Aldous Huxley to the motion picture Gattaca, addressing the hopes and fears that they mirror besides the query of ways real looking they're. whereas all chapters have been written by means of scientists on the most sensible in their respective fields, all are available to a non-specialist viewers and eminently readable. They symbolize a state-of-the artwork review of questions which are of curiosity to a wide viewers. The ebook therefore objectives a non-specialist viewers with an curiosity in philosophical, sociological, medical and criminal matters eager about either conventional and up to date concerns about the wish of mankind to enhance itself. it really is specific in that it brings jointly a majority of these elements inside a coherent and cohesive paintings.
Read or Download Engineering the Human: Human Enhancement Between Fiction and Fascination PDF
Best evolution books
The learn of the historical past of lifestyles encompasses the origins of species to their loss of life: evolution and extinction. in line with experiences of the fossil list, this ebook examines the directionality of evolution--so known as evolutionary trends--a basic point of existence historical past that has got relatively little awareness lately.
A few three. eight billion years in the past, in an period of churning seas and murky skies, a couple of chemical compounds mixed below the appropriate stipulations, and existence emerged on planet Earth. From that first telephone, existence advanced to a myriad of one-celled organisms, to organisms in a position to photosynthesis, to multicellular organisms, to easy plant and animal varieties, as much as the advanced life-forms we all know this present day.
Instruction manual on Evolution and Society brings jointly unique chapters by way of trendy students who've been instrumental within the revival of evolutionary theorizing and learn within the social sciences over the past twenty-five years. formerly unpublished essays offer up to date, serious surveys of modern examine and key debates.
- Nonlinear Evolution of Spatio-Temporal Structures in Dissipative Continuous Systems
- Evolution Equations: Applications to Physics, Industry, Life Sciences and Economics: EVEQ2000 Conference in Levico Terme (Trento, Italy), October 30–November 4, 2000
- Und der Mensch schuf sich selbst: Das Wagnis der menschlichen Evolution
- Current Perspectives on Sexual Selection: What's left after Darwin? (History, Philosophy and Theory of the Life Sciences, Volume 9)
Extra resources for Engineering the Human: Human Enhancement Between Fiction and Fascination
5) In his book Making the Body Beautiful: A Cultural History of Aesthetic Surgery, Sander L. Gilman describes the importance of this humanist point of view. Individuals partially regained the right to make decisions about their own bodies. While Pico della Mirandola’s ideas were radically humanist, it would take more than a century before they were put into practice, in a very literal manner, in the reconstruction of noses. This was done by Gaspare Tagliacozzi (1545–1599), who 3 Changing the Body Through the Centuries 33 is considered to be one of the ‘founding fathers’ of plastic and cosmetic surgery in Europe.
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Corbin A (1988) The foul and the fragrant: odor and the French social imagination. Harvard University Press, Cambridge Davis K (2003) Dubious equalities and embodied differences: cultural studies on cosmetic surgery. Rowman & Littlefield, New York Davis D, Vernon ML (2002) Sculpting the body beautiful: attachment style, neuroticism and use of cosmetic surgery. Sex Roles 47(3–4):129–138 Decety J, Batson CD (2007) Interpersonal sensitivity: entering others’ worlds.
This observation begs the question of whether human enhancement can also be found in more ‘serious’ and ‘scientific’ explorations of futures. And if this proves to be the case, what can futures studies teach us about the notion of human enhancement and the enhancement of human beings? These questions will be addressed in this 4 Human Enhancement in Futures Explorations 47 chapter. First, we will provide a brief introduction to the field of futures exploration, after which we will examine how human enhancement is represented in a number of Dutch futures studies.